Although the exam objectives document is longer, the new exam actually has fewer objectives. CompTIA Security+ (SY0-601) has 35 exam objectives, compared to 37 on SY0-501. The difference is that the exam objectives for SY0-601 include more examples under each objective – the number of examples increased by about 25%.
CompTIA Security+ 601 focuses on the most up-to-date and current skills needed for the following tasks:
- Assess the cybersecurity posture of an enterprise environment
- Recommend and implement appropriate cybersecurity solutions
- Monitor and secure hybrid environments
- Operate with an awareness of applicable laws and policies
- Identify, analyze and respond to cybersecurity events and incidents
This was intentional to help you better understand the meaning of each exam objective. The more examples and details we provide, the more helpful the exam objectives are for IT pros to prepare for their certification exam and, ultimately, the job itself.
But remember, exam objectives are not exhaustive: you may encounter other examples of technologies, processes or tasks on the exam. The exam questions are not based on these bulleted examples, but on the overarching exam objectives themselves. CompTIA is constantly reviewing exam content and updating questions to ensure relevance and exam integrity.